Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ray Troll

Another friend recently introduced me to the Alaskan "fin artist" Ray Troll. He appeared on the Discovery Channel during Shark Week, one of my personal favorite weeks of the year, exhibiting his artwork that all shares a common sea theme. My friend Alex saw this program and informed me of his shark art, because I am currently sculpting a great white shark. However, after looking at his website, I am drawn to his sculptures of Alaskan fish that he collaboratively created with sculptor Gary Staab.

The subject matter and 3 dimensionality obviously relate to my work. The fact that these fish are a part of an environment of fishes relates to my senior show proposal, and yet each of these animals stand alone as individual pieces of art. Furthermore, as can be seen by the two fish here, it seems as though Ray and Gary have created individual personalities within each fish. This is a crucial element of my own creatures.

"The Night Megalodon Came to Call" pen, ink, watercolor, 2000
I love the humor!

No comments:

Post a Comment