Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Aramis Gutierrez

Another contemporary American painter Aramis Gutierrez does some remarkable work! I'm really fascinated by all of his paintings, which include figural paintings, water paintings, bright color use, contemporary subject matter. All of which are subjects that I'm very interested in my own work.
 "Brooke Shields" 2010
I love the combination of the title and the focus of the body. The viewer would likely not associate this image with the modern actress Brooke Shields if it weren't for the undeniable title. There is not much detail here; it is especially lacking in the background and in her shirt. The panties, for me, are especially reminiscent of contemporary culture and they are the focus of the image.

"Brief Return of the Megaladon" 2006
Something about the Great White Shark is fascinating to me. I too have played with several images of the shark in printmaking and sculpture. Gutierrez's rendition is so different from mine, but it still emphasizes the strength, force and vicious mouth of the animal. I really enjoy this image and will likely play with the same subject again soon.

"Floridian" 2005

"Lazy Sunbather" 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment