Sunday, December 11, 2011

Claes Oldenburg

I've been studying Swedish sculptor Claes Oldenburg in my modern art history class recently. He's famous for his large scale, humorous sculptures like those shown below:
This images are so straight forward, but when shown publicly at this enormous scale they become such a statement! I wonder what one of my own sculptures would say if it were done at this scale and placed in a public venue? 

This is the first image that I ever saw of Oldenburg's and I have loved him ever since. Here he is created an environment with his sculptures, which is exactly what I wish to do with my various sea creatures. He sets each individual art piece behind glass and they are transformed into a pseudo bakery. Whereas my sculptures behind glass will be transformed into a pseudo aquarium.

No comments:

Post a Comment