Monday, October 24, 2011

Artist Statement

My artist statement is very rough right now, but here it is:

     My work, both in paint and sculpture, tends to depict nautical subject matter. This is, in part, due to my personal love for the beach and the great memories that I associate with it. I feel that most viewers can relate to this sense of nostalgia towards the beach, and I hope they find comfort in my work. I want my viewer to experience nothing but positive emotions while looking at my art, as that is what I experience while producing it. There is too much negativity portrayed through art and the media these days. I want to create an escape from this. I want to remind people that there is still much beauty in the world around us, whether it is the simple beauty of a straw hat or the mysterious unknown of the ocean. 
     In paint, I am no stranger to color and this is fully intentional. In addition to my subject matter, I feel that my heavy use of color will evoke blissful, joyous emotions. I try to include a wide array of hues and values from all over the color chart to produce a more energetic composition. 
     In sculpture, I prefer to sculpt creatures that are very textural. In doing this, I find that my viewer usually wants to touch my pieces to get better, and more literal, feel for the piece of art. I love evoking this sense of curiosity. I want nothing more than to lure my audience with bright colors, creative compositions and subject matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment