Thursday, October 13, 2011

I'm working on a self-portrait right now. I will post a picture when I'm finished. In doing this I realize how interested in color I am--especially unnatural colors like violets.
So then, here's a little inspiration from a contemporary British painter:

Jenny Saville's unnatural color use and painterly quality is something that I'd like to mimic. This painting is entitled The Transvestite, which is hard not to love. The emphasis on her anatomy is crucial. Furthermore, I would like to work with a curvier model in some of my next figure paintings/drawings.

Another from Jenny Saville entitled #4, from the Closed Contact series. This is such a unique figural representation! Yet it is a natural rendering; we can easily recognize what is happening to her body here. More than her body though I am attracted to this woman's face. I would love to use glass against models' faces to create really expressive paintings. However, I would use brighter and more unnatural colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment